Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

2011 Review (So Far): James Blake


James Blake is an English electronic music producer who fuses elements of minimalism with dubstep and tells introspective tales of love, alienation and childhood. Even through the effects he layers his voice with, you can hear the pain, as he sings "My brother and my sister don't speak to me, but I don't blame them," on the third track "I Never Learnt to Share."

James created all sorts of buzz in 2010 as he released 3 EPs and announced his arrival to the world. The EPs ended up on many end of the year lists and his full-length was one of the most anticipated albums of 2011. The buzz was real and his self titled debut is a truly amazing album. Check out his cover of Feist's "Limit to Your Love" which appears on the album.

2 comments:

  1. I am all sorts of torn on JB. On one hand, songs like The Wilhelm Scream and Limit to Your Love are excellent, fairly cohesive songs that take work with their minimalism and good beats. Then there's songs like the Unluck and I Mind that are just jumbled messes that sound like a 2 year old playing with Garageband. I guess I'll say he has potential to be good, but stop being so damn weird and start making actual music. But the bass on Limit To Your Love... mmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not completely sold on his sound. I also heard his live act isn't very special..

    ReplyDelete